The Faculty of Science was founded in 1937 as one of the Higher Schools of Gordon Memorial College. In 1945 these schools came under a single independent administration. In 1947 the School of Science became the Faculty of Science and continued to maintain this name until the University College of Khartoum became the University of Khartoum in 1956.
The total enrollment of undergraduate students in the Faculty is 2525 students in all specializations.
Public Services Offered by the Faculty:
• The Weekly Cultural Programme which includes regular public lectures in different scientific and academic specializations.
• Consultancy services in the fields of Physics, Chemistry and Geology.
• Consultancy services in the fields of Chemistry and Bacteriological Analysis.
• Services in Laboratory Sciences and Electron Microscopy.Analysis of materials using nuclear analytical techniques.
There are teaching laboratories in the faculty at all levels: for Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Botany and Zoology. In addition, there are specialized research laboratories for Nuclear Physics, Laser, Leishmania, Bilharzia, tissue culture and Molecular Biology.
In addition to the Faculty Library, each of the five departments has its own specialized library in addition to the Natural History Museum and Suakin Marine Laboratory Libraries. All serve graduate and post graduate students as well as members of the academic staff. They are consulted by research students and teaching staff from other universities.
The Faculty sustains relations of scientific cooperation with various universities and academic centers abroad, including The Netherlands, Germany, France, Britain, United States of America and Sweden. The Faculty undertakes jointly approved academic programmes or common research projects with these universities and academic centers. An active cooperation is maintained with the University of Leiden, The Netherlands. The Faculty also maintains relations with the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Italy and the International Atomic Energy Agency (Vienna). Considerable benefits have been derived from these relations illustrated in the acquisition of advanced scientific equipment and materials, and the exchange of visits by experts and scholars from both sides.